Tastes of wine were 50cents to $2, glasses of wine were $4+. It was fun sampling all different kinds, I dont have a mature enough palate to discuss the complexity and character or the tannins or aroma... I did swirl and sniff but I didnt know what I was smelling :) I did buy the coolest glass marker, its a magnetic frog, isnt it cute/poisonous looking?
Food on the other hand I understand. We had lobster gumbo, fresh dipped corn dogs, crab melt, oysters on a half shell, smoke salmon, clam chowder, olive tasting and a crab cocktail. Great Food.
Things to remember for next time:
- $70 in ones per person is a bare minimum for one day(20 to get in).
- Its more fun to go with a big group of people but makes sure to all wear matching out fits, wigs, shirts, costumes... most popular were pirates and crustaceans.
- You can bring your own glass and decorate it, dont forget your wine-glass-holster that you wear around your neck.
- every time someone drops their wine glass the whole tent yells at you
- pick up a list at Newport Chamber of Commerce booth that shows you all the wines that were issued Gold/Silver/Bronze for the festival so you can taste them.
- dont bundle up too much, it may be freezing outside but its hot in there
- wear comfortable shoes
- Its ok to to be wearing lots of beads, tatoos and stickers from each booth
- wine makes people really freindly
- you'll most likely run into at least one person you know, we saw adam, vara and b-con.
- most people are carrying around a baguette. Taste some wine rip some bread.